SFMBC.net Forum Index SFMBC.net
Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lack of communication from Federation Committee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Lack of communication from Federation Committee Reply with quote

The Committee, Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs

I wish to convey my disgust at the lack of promotion & information on the Federation Regatta.
It should be the premier event of the year, to showcase what Scottish clubs can do.

There is nothing posted in Marine Modelling International or to my knowledge, Model Boats.
The Federation website has nothing in the "News" section, the "Federation Banner Events" section is completely ignored.

The Federation website should be used to inform it's members, it should be used as a major medium by the Committee.
Are any of the committee, members of the forum?

As for the event itself: are there competitions?
What are the parking arrangements for the event.
What's the catering arrangements?

These are not questions that should be asked on the eve of the "National" event.

What does the Federation committee do, if they apparently can't be bothered promoting "their" regatta?

Have you left the advertising to the host club, if so, why have you not ensured they advertised it?
The normal notice, in the "Events Calendar" is NOT advertising, it is a notice.

I will be posing this letter on the forum, as well as to the committee members.
A copy will also be forwarded to Ian Moffat, (as a courtesy), who can only post the information he is given.

Eddie
WeeJockW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that your comments should be directed towards the federation committee Eddie, after all it was the Greenock club who chose to run the event, therefor in my humble opinion your critiscm should be pointed towards their committee.

hopefully the offending/personal part has been removed

Last edited by WeeJockW on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's getting personal, keep your club politics out of this forum.
You will have any further comments like that deleted.

Spoke to Nigel C. & Jim H. today. Nigel agreed, stating, we have a year to get this sorted.
He agreed it was constructive criticism & deserved looking into.

Last edited by Don't be Vague on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
WeeJockW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a matter of club politics Eddie, the Greenock club took on the role of hosting and organising the event. This involved all the logisitcs needed to carry the event including the points you raised i.e. car parking, catering, publicising etc.

If you asked me to run an event for you Eddie, then you would expect ME to make sure that it's well publicised, that catering arrangements, car parking and all the 101 other items needed to run that event were in place. You woudn't want to have to chase me up in order to make sure that everything was done.

I expect the federation do the same thing when clubs take on the mantle of holding the federation regatta, they let the club get on with it, but are there to offer advice and assistance IF required.
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will leave that post, DO NOT push it any further.

The points I raised, should be discussed by the Fed officials &/or at the Fed. AGM. so that this situation will not happen again.

I only want to improve the standing, of all Scotish Model Boat Clubs, for the betterment of us all.
b_t_savage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i thought everyone enjoyed themselves but the one thing that annoyed me was the lack of communications to boaters and public alike from our organising club..... i kept having people asking me of all people if there were competitions on and when raffles and prize giving was happening other than that i think the fed guys organised themselves well and done what they were supposed to
gingyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading throught this thread everyone is saying the same thing in a roundabout way LACK OF COMUNICATION.........
It is a long time since I was in anyway involved in helping organise a federation event but looking at the lack of advertisment for this show then both sides should look and reflect
Taking ONLY the advertising into account did the club think the federation was going to do it or did the federation think the club was going to do it??
this could apply to every club who organised past, present and future federation events.

Possibly the way forward for this event would be a set of guidelines setting out who is responsible for what there for nobody can be left in any doubt who is to do what for the event.

it would be good to get people on this forum who are willing to participate in an open and frank discussion for the future of model boating in scotland but I think we are a long way off for that Crying or Very sad
WeeJockW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingyer wrote:

Taking ONLY the advertising into account did the club think the federation was going to do it or did the federation think the club was going to do it??

From what I know, the Greenock club were dealing with the advertising and that, that wasn't a problem for them.

gingyer wrote:

it would be good to get people on this forum who are willing to participate in an open and frank discussion for the future of model boating in scotland but I think we are a long way off for that Crying or Very sad

That's a good idea get the rank and file members to give their views in an open manner with NO slagging off, just honest opinions which can then be debated.
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingyer wrote:

this could apply to every club who organised past, present and future federation events.

Possibly the way forward for this event would be a set of guidelines setting out who is responsible for what there for nobody can be left in any doubt who is to do what for the event.

Don't be Vague wrote:

Spoke to Nigel C. & Jim H. today. Nigel agreed, stating, we have a year to get this sorted.
He agreed is was constructive criticism & deserved looking into.

Think we can leave this subject to Nigel now, the suggested guidelines should be part of this years agenda, at the Fed. AGM.

Thank you all for your comments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Federation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: