SFMBC.net Forum Index SFMBC.net
Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Children & Vulnerable persons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeeJockW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Children & Vulnerable persons Reply with quote

Don't know how many of you have seen the latest news with regards to the vetting of adults who are in regular contact with young children. Although this scheme starts in England, Wales and Northern Ireland next month, a similar scheme rolls out in Scotland next year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8250795.stm

The implications of such a scheme would have far reaching consequences for our hobby, the model flying club has already said that it has lost members and will be closing it's doors to child members.

The Greenock club had a meeting last week to look at our approach to the current legislation, but in light of the new scheme will have to look at where do we go from here.

Any thoughts would be most welcome, as this involves your club as well.
JimG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scottish Aeromodelling Association already has such a scheme up and running for member clubs. There is no need for all members to be checked, only those who are likely to be involved with juniors, eg instructors. It is also recommended that the club rules say that juniors must be supervised by their parents while at the club. As the applications for the checks are made through the SAA there is no cost to the members. At the Dundee Model Aircraft Club we have three members (including myself) who have been checked (one of whom is by definition a vulnerable adult Smile ) We see no need to ban juniors at Dundee because of this .
(I have also had to go through the checking for work as I work in a school. This means that I have now been checked three times Laughing )

Jim
Max Power

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that this topic has not been discussed on the forum before.

However as JimG points out the SAA have crossed this bridge already; the SAA policy document was produced as long ago as 2005!

This is surely a subject for our national body to address
, I mean of course the federation!

If any organisation is applying for lottery funding for instance they had better have a policy on childern and vulnerable persons in place or they are wasting their time.
WeeJockW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's worrying me is, that a similar scheme to the one being rolled out in England next month is being introduced in Scotland next year. It would appear to be a tightening up of the existing scheme and if it's anything like the English one, it needs to be well explained.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Chit-chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: