SFMBC.net Forum Index SFMBC.net
Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Future Structure of the Federation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
against_therapy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Possible Future Structure of the Federation? Reply with quote

I feel that no matter what happens the federation will always be in existence but run from the bottom up as opposed to the top down - as it is at present. This I feel will bring greater accountability through having member clubs electing one representative onto a management committee of the federation (that would be 23 members and possibly one to represent those people who take out individual membership but are not part of any club). Those elected members can then elect individuals from among their ranks to form the executive (ie Chair, Treasurer, Sec etc).

The management committee could meet 3 or 4 times a year to discuss issues affecting the hobby and anyother pertinant business. The management committee could also be split into a series of sub committees of say 4 members - One representing fundraising, another associated with marketing and publications (aimed at lifting the profile of the Fed). There could be an events committee and dare i say it a committee charged with looking after insurance.

Accountability derives from the fact that each elected member of the management committee represent their respective club within the federation. The Executive simply manages the day to day business of the federation and brings fourth any issues that may arise too the management committee. If the issue/s affect the hobby at club level then the respective members can report back to the committee of their respective clubs and decisions can be made at that level then fed back up to the fed.

This is a very much steady as she goes approach to running a national organization but is one that is followed in many areas both at governmental and club level around the world.

A new constitution would also have to be drawn up so another thread could be created to cove issues around this

What you all think?
Max Power

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Future Structure of the Federation? Reply with quote

against_therapy wrote:

A new constitution would also have to be drawn up so another thread could be created to cove issues around this

What you all think?

You are probably correct but in the absence of an unabridged version of the constitution it as difficult to comment fully.
A few points are need answering though;
e.g. The Federation name suggest that its membership is for CLUBs, no provision appears in the abridged constitution for Individual membership.
Clubs are allowed TWO committee members but at the AGM have only One vote. Why?
Should the number of votes not be related to the size of the individual club membership? (eg 1 vote for every 10 members.)
With TWO members from each club on the committee it is surely unwieldy; or do half the committee or more do nothing!
There is no provision for an extra-ordinary general meeting (EGM). Most club constsitutions include this.
There appears to be no requirement for constition changes to be approved at an AGM or EGM.

Just a few points to think about!
JimG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few basic problems with your ideas. Anyone who has seen the problems at a club AGM with getting members to stand for the club committee will realise that the chances of getting someone to stand for the Federation will be difficult.
You are asking for these club members to meet 3 or 4 times a year at some location (probably central Scotland ) involving a long journey for some costing quite a bit of money for some. (If its an evening meeting then it would probably need a hotel stay for some) Will this cost be refunded by the Federation? At the moment we can't even get all of the clubs to send a representative once a year to the AGM.
You have the idea of making the Federation into an official national organisation, this is not what it was formed for. It was purely a group of clubs getting together to co-ordinate club events and hold an annual competition for its members. If you want a national organisation join the BMFA or the MYA.
Ian Greig

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Federation future Reply with quote

A quick reply,
1, the Federation from day one is run from the bottom, the membership elects the committee.
2, sub committees- there is allowance for that in para 10 of the constitution and you do not want too many committees.
3, the constitution- a new version is in work.
Remember one thing the more means of communication we have the worse it gets.
Ian
The late JP and myself founded the Federation.
I will be more explicit about all this in the near future.
Max Power

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimG wrote:
You have the idea of making the Federation into an official national organisation, this is not what it was formed for. It was purely a group of clubs getting together to co-ordinate club events and hold an annual competition for its members. If you want a national organisation join the BMFA or the MYA.

I am staggered! What can I say? I thought the the Federation was a national organisation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Robbo770

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Federation future Reply with quote

I can only comment on the information during discussions with clubs during the last 6 weeks, but change seem the only way of progressing the Federation role,

With regards to the structure I think this has been highlighted as in need of change to allow the members as Clubs of which it was created to support to have a more controlling aspect of what is carried out on the Clubs Behalf.

The Constitution definately requires updating, however statements like, "is in work" does not help (no direct personal point intended) as the member Clubs should be able to disscuss this and the changes should be done during a full meeting,

Communication is paramount to the survival of the FEDERATION, at present there is none, this would probably resolve most club concerns if the information was supply regularly and as even stated within the current constitution.
There is nothing to stop meetings in the current web climate to held online in a chat room for the representives, this could then be even setup to have the postings printed as minutes and sent the same night to all clubs , and should a vote be required actioned within the same email to the offical club contact list as a minimum, right click isolation is readily available on most ISP's to remove any edit capibilities.

We at Aberdeen Model Boat Club feel the way forward is to have a AGM meeting in central scotland so distance travel is equalise for all clubs regardless to give a fair and constructive meeting to better the Federation.
The consences is from most clubs that Perth is the most central location, and I personnelly would agree this make sense, however as stated above there is nothing to even stop an AGM being help online too, as all entries would be visible to all members within the chat room conversation.

this would allow the elected chair to control and refer back to the exact question proposed to stop further misunderstandings.

Regards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Federation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: