SFMBC.net Forum Index SFMBC.net
Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.4 ghz radio's poss slight problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
holbay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: 2.4 ghz radio's poss slight problem Reply with quote

Hi guys while on holiday at a model boat event in yorkshire in may i was talking to the chairman of the MPBA and a possible major problem has arose regarding these radio's it would appear that heart pacemakers operate in the 2.4 Ghz frequency so if you operate this type of radio and you are fitted with a pacemaker or are near anyone who has a pacemaker then it may cause the pacemaker to not operate properly. Now this was brought to my attention by someone who is fitted with a p/maker and at the pondside turned extremely ill the doctors discovered that he was operating a 2.4 Ghz radio and when tested was found out to be interfering with the p/maker. Aparrently if you are getting a p/maker fitted you can have one that is shielded for 2.4 Ghz but would you take the risk i know i would'nt. Iknow the person who had the problem and has now sold his 2.4 Ghz set's all 4 of them so beware guys.. George.
Max Power

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been known for some time that 2.4GHz equipment can interfere with with pacemakers if used in close proximity to them. This would be the case if one was holding a 2.4GHz transmitter in front of the chest (as is normal) or carrying a mobile phone. From what I have been able to glean from the net so far, new pacemakers all have the appropriate filters to prevent problems with mobile phones. The radiated power from approved model r/c equipment is limited to a maximum of 100mW output. Using a 2.4GHz r/c set a couple of meters from someone with a pacemaker would seem to pose no greater a threat than using a mobile phone the same distance away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Chit-chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: