SFMBC.net Forum Index SFMBC.net
Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sailing Wee Nips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Noon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Sailing Wee Nips Reply with quote

Despite one or two 'technical' setbacks several of our new squadron of Wee Nips were ready for testing on Sunday.......flat calm.....kiss of death!

So its all systems go for this Sunday....we hope!

How about the Wee Nip as a replacement for the ailing federation class yacht? Richmond has about 6 on the go, Queens Park another couple, as well as a couple from the Govan team. The Greenock boys are also interested in building some for some social competiton with us.

1: You cant buy them, they have to be built to the design, so you cant throw money at the project.....level field for all.
2: Encourages model boat building, rather than buying.
3: Fosters good relations between clubs racing them for fun.
4: Provides simple, inexpensive entertainment for members.
5: Costs around 20 not including radio which you may already have.
Eddy Matthews
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst yachts aren't my "thing", it appears that Bill has hit the nail on the head - A totally level form of competition that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and encourages BUILDING, rather than just buying something to win with!

I have to agree wholeheartedly - Well said Bill

Eddy
Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea to me. We tried introducing a Northwind 28 class at EMBC - and within weeks they stopped making the kit! The 'Wee Nip' class looks like a great solution - and cheaper too.

Andrew
Bill Noon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We constructed ours 'in house' so to speak, with only one other built at home by a member, we found the 'communal' approach to be the better way forward.

Members contributing what they could scrounge and the goods divided amongst the others, lead flashing, drafting film for sails, pots for deck access, braided terylene for sheets, all of which contributed to keeping the cost down for each other.

The cut & thrust of banter between those involved was worth it if only for entertainment purposes, let alone the yacht.

We were discussing the possibility this afternoon of visiting other clubs over the winter for that 'social racing' I mentioned, nothing rigid, just a few friends over for a few spins around the bouys at whatever club wants to splash out on a packet of biscuits.
Max Power

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Wee Nips Reply with quote

Yes Bill, I think the WEE NIP is the way to go for competition class. I was given a shotty with one at the pond this afternoon. Great fun Very Happy . I may even build one once my current (winged) building project is finished. On a general note; I find I can spend a few hours sailing a model yacht without getting bored; cannot say the same for just steering aimlesslyaround the pound with a slow electric powered model Exclamation Some others are obviously so bored that they leave their electric powered model in the middle of the pond while they go inside the club house for a cuppa Exclamation Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Wee Nip Reply with quote

Max is correct about "sailing" a Nip, you only stop when the batteries go flat, GREAT FUN, no time for tea!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
holbay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Billy damn good idea bring it up at fed agm and we will see how it goes
Max Power

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Wee Nips Reply with quote

Just to say that I have at last finished my Wee Nip and have already sailed it Exclamation Absolutely Fantastic Very Happy . Great that it is now a federation class. Look forward to seeing lots sailing together at Richmond Park. No point buiding them if you don't sail them Exclamation . Let the fun begin Very Happy
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Wee Nips Reply with quote

Watch out for Max, his boats never have less than 2x 7.2v packs, this will be the one to beat, at least he knows how to sail a "hankie boat"

Haven't seen it yet but expect it to be you one with outrigger on the back!!!

Look forward to a duel with this one. Laughing

Eddie
IainM
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Wee Nip in the Air Reply with quote

A Wee Nip sailing in 25 to 30mph winds at Inverleith.
Built by Alan Pollock who also took the pikkie.

Goes like a fart in a gale Razz

Victorias were struggling, Voyagers were just about OK and an IOM with a 'strong wind' suit of sails was going like stink.
So, despite being small the Wee Nip performed very well after a bit of tuning.

Whoopee .......

Iain
Max Power

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Wee Nips Reply with quote

Great picture by Alan Pollock of a WEE NIP sailing Arrow Really looks the part. I haven't visited Inverleith pond since my power boat multi-racing days Exclamation . I must rectify that this year Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Yachts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: