SFMBC.net Forum Index SFMBC.net
Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sub trials

View previous topic :: View next topic  
still_cool40

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: sub trials Reply with quote

does anyone have suggestions about the best place to run test trials, i have searched for the old concrete paddling pool type places without success, but there MUST be somewhere relatively easy to get to and fairly shallow with clean water round about here. I have notice some pools next to new parliament building at holyrood, they look about 18 to 24 inches deep, perfect? There used to be a test tank at kings buildings at one time as well

regards
Norry Mason

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pond at Aubrey Park in Largs is around 14 inches deep & very clear...
Just like you described, An old concrete boating pond with a level bottom...It would be ideal for testing a sub...
But thats on the West Coast I see that you are on the East Coast...
What Like is Inverleith Pond these days ...

...All The Best...Norry...
still_cool40

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

largs is way too far for me for a test, there must be somewhere in edin that has clear shallow with flat bottom im sure, ill find a place eventually
Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a suitable place Ian let me know! There used to be a pond at Port Seton years ago but I suspect that has long since gone and may well have been salt water in any event. And salt water and subs don't mix.

EMBC has an old indoor purpose built test tank - originally for yachts and this would be perfect but it is in need of serious renovation. Until my eyes are fixed the work is on the backburner - but we will get round to it. The other possibility is that we have a member who is currently nearing completion of a garden pond and might just allow some testing once it is finished. I'll have a word with him on Sunday at our SubDay.

Andrew
Bill Noon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of 'ponds'...
Why not think 'factories' etc?
Over here there are a couple of factories with ponds for cooling water and a distillery that has one or two.
Might widen your net?
still_cool40

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I had spied a couple of potential places, one of them at the parliament building (dont think they will wear it though) i suppose it just needs folk to keep a weather eye out on travels and work up a list of potential places to check out and ask about.
Bill Noon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had it been our tugs or the puffers, they might have swallowed "Im preserving our industrial heritage", dont really know if we had a 'nuclear' heritage. Laughing
And that might not go down too well with the 'tree huggers'...

Is there a canoe/diving club or something there?
They sometimes arrange use of a swimming pool etc for training, theres another option perhaps, a school pool. Empty most, if not every evening and prob weekends too.
Might have to get the 'technical' teacher on board and arrange something in conjunction with the school. Say...one evening showing them whats what and another for yourselves?
If that went down ok, it would also raise the model boating profile quite a bit, dont ask...dont get!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Submarines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: