SFMBC.net Forum Index SFMBC.net
Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plastic Airfix Kits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Exact Scale - Full Kit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liz G

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Plastic Airfix Kits Reply with quote

Should plastic kits ie airfix, matchbox etc. be allowed to enter kit built competitions or should there be a separate class for them.
In my opinion a modeller who builds a kit ie caldercraft etc has to put a lot more work into the build due to the many white metal parts for fittings. The kit could even be a planked hull. Airfix, matchbox kits do need some attention but not as much as other boat kits, all fittings are ready moulded etc.
Therefore I think a new class for plastic kits should be proposed. A new class for plastic kits would also encourage new or young model builders into the hobby, a first step on the ladder so to speak.
Your views please.

Liz G.
Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz

We were discussing this very subject at our Club night this evening and were coming to the same conclusion as you.
There are also many people who buy old and damaged models or partially started kits (Caldercraft, Model Slipway et al) and then do considerable work themselves to finish, renovate or rebuild them and we are looking for some class for these too.
What has brought it to our intention is the number of proudly displayed models at the regattas and shows - but which are never entered into any of the events. We want to encourage people to enter their boats - particularly the newbies to our hobby.

Andrew
ghost in the shell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Yamato is a project that I purchased as a 10 year old model, just needs some tlc Smile she had been sitting on a shelf for a few years before i took her on.
Bill Noon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Liz on this one.
Marcus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Relative merits of kits Reply with quote

While I agree with some of the sentiments here, I differ a little because I can't agree that the so called plastic kit is any different from the "normal" model boat kit.

If the argument is that a plastic kit involves less work, I would have to disagree. Sure; if you buy a 7 Airfix kit, you can glue it together in 10 minutes, but, on the other hand, my Revell S100 cost 13 but took over 400 hours to build. That was because I motorised it, added radio control, added a sizeable etch set, etc, etc. There is more work in that kit than in many larger kits supplied by model boat kit suppliers.
My Italeri ELCO 80' kit cost 60 but will have taken another 400 hours plus by the time it is finished.

Where, then, is the difference between the so called plastic kit and other boat kits?
Is it the number of parts? The Italeri has nearly 1000 parts.
Is it the cost? Why should cost be a factor? And anyway, the cost of the basic kit is a small fraction of the cost of the completed boat, by the time you have added the motors, accessories and radio gear.

I believe that in judging a finished boat, it is right to take into account whether it is a kit or a scratch built model, but that's why we have different classes in competitions.
It is also important to take into account the amount of time and effort expended.
The finish is very important, and I think we have a lot to learn from plastic modellers here, especially some of the armour modellers. If you read magazines like Fine Scale Modelling (mostly plastic) you will know those modellers are light years ahead of conventional boat modellers, both in their execution of appropriate finishes and in their thinking about what's an appropriate finish. The finish doesn't care whether its on a plastic kit or a "proper" boat model kit, and neither should the judges.

A kit is a kit, whether it is a so called plastic kit or not. Most are plastic hulls anyway, and even the larger "proper" models are increasingly all plastic.
RedHamish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Plastic Kits Reply with quote

Hello all, plastic kits of the larger scales less than 1/72 are few and far between for us. As Marcus has said the involvement of hours upon hours to execute a "fine scale" model with after market Photo etched Brass sets is less than likely to happen in our chosen hobby.
Classifications then could be:

Plastic Magic = a motorised and r/c'd standard box in any small scale from 1/72 through to 1/1200 if possible?

Modified Plastic = a plastic kit which has been motorised and r/c'd plus has any amount of after market PE set details.

The finish which any of the true plastic modeller who will take a standard kit then bash to make any amount of variations AND then paint to such a degree where it would be difficult to identify a diorama from real is so unlikely to happen within the scales and disciplines we deal with.

The last thing we would wish to do is to alienate any newbie from this wonderful hobby.

cheers

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Exact Scale - Full Kit All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: