SFMBC.net Forum Index SFMBC.net
Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IJN Fuso
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marinemole wrote:

. Quite why the Japanese Naval Architects decided to mount these guns so high I can't work out.

It makes the guns closer to the planes. Very Happy
marinemole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather has turned foul recently so the Fuso saga resumes, into its sixth year it has to be said.

Earlier this year I started drawing a lot of the components in a CAD package with a view to trying 3d printing. I finally plucked up courage recently and submitted a design to a company in London to be 3d printed.
There is a charge per item on top of the total swept volume charge, but if everything is built into a sinter cage they only charge for a single item. They challenge customers to cram in the max amount possible into the cage, a challenge no self respecting engineer could resist, especially a thrifty retired Scots engineer. I was expecting to have to saw open the cage to get at the contents but to my delight everything arrived neatly sorted into poly bags.All items had been cleaned pretty thoroughly with only powder residue to be removed from very fine detail. Almost everything worked out which surprised me as I had violated most of their minimum size design criteria. Overall the finished product exceeded my best expectations.

I need a lot more guns but will tweak the design in light of this first attempt. Now that this stage has been a success my next move is to send away the design for photo etch parts to super detail what I have.

Captions below pictures.

Above. A composite drawing of the design with the cage partially cut away. The full cage can also be seen. Some of the individual illustrations show the basic 3d print part with additional photo etch.

Above and below. The contents I received.

Above. I included one 14 inch gun, the largest item in the package, as a possible master for a mould to replace the paintbrush handle guns I have already made. I also included a half gun on a flange to simplify mould construction. However I may keep the original barrels.

Above and following. One of the twin 25mm guns sprued up for protection with various other items added to fill the space. I was concerned that the gun barrels might be vulnerable to the post print cleaning operation. Bear in mind the hefty magnification of this picture when assessing finish. I've made no attempt yet to do any post delivery cleaning or finishing.

Above. The 25mm twin mounting sprue with a pound coin for reference.

Above. The 25mm twin mounting liberated from the sprue.

Above. Another view of the complete contents.

Above. The bow anchors and a test length of chain.

Above. The design within it's 'bounds box' to allow a 1mm all round gap separation with the sinter cage.

Above and below. The contents in the sinter cage with part of the cage hidden to reveal the contents.

Mackenzie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this a really interesting article, can you tell more including drawing package that you used. Thanks Jim Mackenzie
Mackenzie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this a really interesting article, can you tell more including drawing package that you used. Thanks Jim Mackenzie
marinemole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Trimble Sketchup, which is a free download, for CAD.

Using Netfabb, also free, to check STL files for printing. The free version doesn't catch all errors but Microsoft have a site where you can upload your file for check and repair then download it again.

I uploaded the design to 3dPrintUK, based in London, for a Quote and subsequent printing. They do a half price deal where you may have to wait about 14 days before your print comes back. Cost is 10p per cm cubed plus VAT plus postage.

https://www.3dprint-uk.co.uk/

Been a long haul to get to a finished product but now that I am more familiar with the techniques is will hopefully become quicker and easier.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Under Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: