SFMBC.net Forum Index SFMBC.net
Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wee Nip help needed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dekan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Wee Nip help needed! Reply with quote

I'm building a wood kit for a friend using the MMi wood pack.The biggest problem I have had is all the laser cut edges are covered in soot. Wrong power setting on the laser cutter?

I found that the plan is not that accurate,the side view is slightly bigger than the plan view... I had to make a new transom as the supplied part is too small on the deck edge

Well after a bit of a struggle, I have got the hull together it's not as easy as it looks in the Dvd .... I hate bending lite ply...

The first thing that threw me was the amount of curvature that is induced across the deck, when you pull the bottom of the sides in to fit the the hull bottom, but I looked at the footage on the Dvd and it seems to be normal...

I am using a 8mm carbon tube for a mast...How much bigger does the holes have to be in order for the mast to swing properly?

The mast has several holes to adjust it's position.. realistically which ones are used, and does the mast have to be vertical?
Am I going to have to enlarge the holes at the base the mast so it can be angled back?
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dekan

Welcome to the forum.

Good choice of boat, but I'm bias Rolling Eyes

You will find the answers to your questions at the Wee Nip website,
http://sites.google.com/site/theweenip/

Basically a slight gap is all that's needed, if you line the edge of the hole in resin, it will make a good bearing surface.

Not tried slanting the mast but I suspect an oval hole would be required.

Hope this helps, if you need any more help, just ask. Smile

Eddie
dekan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help... I have seen your web site Eddie it's excellent...

Although I have built lots of model airplanes,I have not built any boats from scratch.

In my opinion there not really enough info on the plan,dvd or article for the complete beginner to build it...

Which of the combination of holes in the deck do you use?...Im also wondering if anybody has made the keel weight up as per plan or did most people buy one? If so where from?

What do you use for deck "patches"

I'm building the kit for a friend who has poor eye sight due to diabetes... so very simple or non existent rigging is a must.

I currently sail a Victoria and a Micro Magic....
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your thoughts, re. building instructions, they are very poor!

Since you come from another discipline, be advised, this build is not conventional boat practice Mad as I've stated elsewhere, for a model initially designed for youngsters, it's enough to put them off completely but when you get it sailing ......... Very Happy Laughing Very Happy the fun factor takes over.

Most of us have settled on the middle hole, as a good all rounder, more holes = more chance of water getting in Sad

The patches we use are "that sticky backed plastic, on a role" you know the make, sometimes the shop has some, sign makers sometimes sell their off-cuts.

At Richmond, we built-up the bulb, as per the plan, a very satisfying exercise.
The biggest downside to building the Nip, is the lack of a ready made bulb, Sad I have asked Traplet to invest in a mould many times.
Please contact the editor MMI to request a bulb be supplied, to date there are no commercially made bulbs, as far as I know.

The rigging will be suitable for your friend, one clip & your away Very Happy

Last edited by Don't be Vague on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dekan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Blue Peter still going! I didn't know that they still made Fablon! Smile

I'm surprised that the designer, Graham Bantock,didn't put in a former or two? It would of made for a easier build..... Surprised

Having met and spoke to some of Traplets editorial staff..... I'm not surprised that they show little interest Rolling Eyes
mickt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: wee nip help needed Reply with quote

Hi there, I am based in Peterborough (England!!!!) and have been building a Wee nip for about two months, Here are my thoughts/hints:
1. Made brass bushes for deck holes and mast step at foot, seem to work ok.
2. Made up lead weight from scrap strip bought from local roofing contactor for 10. Thought this was expensive at the time but just seen one of similar size on e-bay from Hong Kong at 79 Exclamation Exclamation So I guess mine was a bargain, easy and satisfying to make.
3. Got sticky back vinyl material from local signmaker for deck patches. Offered him scrap value but he gave me a scrap piece about 1metre square, as long as I gave him a photo of the finished boat.
4. Have put battery pack in "Asda" tub, let-into the deck next to the mast, so having sealed the deck I hope it wont need the patches removing except for maintenance and repairs.
5. Agree with you and Eddie DVD, instructions etc are rubbish and leave the beginner (like me) wondering how to do this and that etc.
6. Bought a traplet wood kit(very accurate except for transom size) and used this as template to make my boat, am going to make one,again using kit as template for my disabled brither-in-law. Some memebers of my model boat club have shown an interest in building one.
7. Am having difficulty sourcing "drafting film" (all engineers now use CAD). Have tried clear craft film from Colemans but this is ok until you get a smal split and then it just "runs".

Will send photos to Eddie for the website when I am finished and satisfied with the boat.

regards, MickT Very Happy
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick.

More Nips in Englandshire Shocked

Hope yours is the 1st of many in your club, When your finished, give your friends a shot, they will be hooked & want one. Very Happy

Perhaps, if like Glasgow Richmond, a number of members build Nips, you could club together to buy parts, (a role of lead etc) apart from keeping the cost down, it was great fun building a number of them at the same time. If you don't build too quickly, you can seen where the problems are Rolling Eyes

Have you tried, running "Magic tape" round the edges of your sail material, to stop the runs? I expected my holographic wrapping film to fly apart but the tape has held it together, worth a try Wink

Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Eddie
mickt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is "magic tape"???? Sellotape????
dekan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very thin clear tape made by 3M

It can be used for repairing torn book pages as it's very thin and transparent hence "Magic"

Sellotape Diamond tape might be better as it's very weather resistant...
mickt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: servos Reply with quote

I have read that the std servo on the sail arm is not really "up to the job" and to get it to pull in, somestimes you have to head up into the wind to take some pressure off the sail.
Would a stronger servo solve this, and if so, what spec servo do I need to buy??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Yachts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: