SFMBC.net Forum Index SFMBC.net
Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreadstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

My name is David Young,and I remember coming to watch your club sailing your boats back in the early '60's as a small boy,at the time I lived in Pollokshields.My favourite ships at the time were the Waverley,which always seemed to have balance problems, and the HMS Ark Royal. If I remember correctly,weren't they both owned by the same man?

I have just recently joined the boating fraternity,being a member of the Elder Park model boat club. I have switched over from R/C car racing,1/8th nitro off-road,for a relaxing change of pace.I'm finding that my reactions aren't quite fast enough anymore to keep driving competatively.
I've just purchased an old Vosper RTTL 1/24th scale,which I'm in the process of doing up,not quite to scale I must admit,as she has a couple of extras which aren't standard,most notably,bow rails. I'm going to keep them though,as it makes her different from the rest. I'm waiting for some much needed parts to finish her off,but she'll never be good enough to win any prizes. Not that I'm overly worried about that,I just want a boat that's fun to sail,and that looks scale.

Hope to see out there as they say.

David.

How she looked when I got her.

How she's looking now.

A short Vid of her.

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/xuihpilli/?action=view&current=DSCN1190.flv

[/img]
IainM
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Federation Forum David Exclamation
Its always good to hear from folk who build models for the fun of sailing them!! And well done with your reconstruction of your RTTL - makes a good model that is generally great fun to sail. I used to have one that was about 4ft long but it proved to be difficult to get enough power without using IC.

Please let us all know how things go with the final stages of the rebuild.

Iain Moffatt
Dreadstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome Ian,and I'll keep you appraised of my progress. Smile
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

Like the video David, what motor are you using to get the boat moving so well.
Dreadstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DbV,I'm using an MFA RE550 motor,connected to a 40mm nylon high speed 2 blade prop,powered by GP 4300 MAh cells at 7.2V. This boat had originally been set-up I think for an onboard nitro engine,hence the single prop. Looking at photographs of the real boat in action,I don't think I need any more speed,as it looks about scale as it is.
I'm quite happy with the way she performs,especially for such an old hull, that's over 30 years old,possibly much older than that.
I need to install a watercooled system to the motor,as the heatsink's not enough to dissapate the excess heat generated by long term high speed runs.

David.
Dreadstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other little 2nd hand purchase,is an old Billings Neptune,that I'm also in the process of tarting-up shall we say.

This was a real ebay steal,as I got her complete with all fittings/battery and transmitter for the princely sum of 49.00 inc p&p.

How she looked when I got her,with temp aerial straw fitted.

How she's looking now.

A short vid of her fitted with a Groupner 25mm 3-blade nylon prop.

http://urls92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/xuihpilli/?action=view&current=DSCN1330.flv

With a 30mm Graupner prop I get about an hours runtime on one of my 4300mAh 7.2V packs,and with the 25mm prop,the run time goes up to over an hour and 3/4's. I really like this boat,but it has problems in strong winds,as it's very light,weighing only just over 4lbs fully loaded.
Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good purchase David, Very Happy

Can I suggest you add your video's to the video section, you could put them under Video's around the club's or make your own heading, "Video's from Elder Park" sounds good Razz

Must make a point of going to Elder Park, next year, when the weather get's warmer.
Dreadstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest aquisition,an old Veron 041 Round Britain racer.

Gave her a couple of coats of yacht varnish prior to painting her.

Now my painting isn't as good as many of yours,but I like how it's turned out.

She's been fitted with a watercooled Speed 660 motor with a 45mm 2-blade nylon race prop. All ready for a test run,when the ice finally melts.
Dreadstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics of her on the water at Loch Lomond today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Chit-chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: