SFMBC.net Forum Index SFMBC.net
Scottish Federation of Model Boat Clubs Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UB-l

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: UB-l Reply with quote

The photo is of my UB-1 on the water at Inverleith for the first time. This is a Norbert Bruggen semi-kit and utilises his bayonet fitting for the 2 halves of the hull. The dive tank is a modified Engel piston type that you have to reduce in capacity by shortening it. This was not achieved without a high degree of fear and sweat. The whole thing is controlled by an Engel/Bruggen ballast tank switch now available from SubTech. A special Nimh battery had to be made up by ModelPower as it has to sit in a very confined space in the bow. Initial tank tests showed many areas where water was coming in - particularly through the control rods which have a very novel seal but these were gradually eliminated. Rather more ballast than I had thought necessary was needed to get the sub to dive - but I got there in the end. The performance on the pond is excellent with good speed and manoeuvrability although the height exposed to the wind and the torque from the motor do cause some roll. I am well pleased though.

Andrew

Don't be Vague

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew

If it was easy, everyone would build one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFMBC.net Forum Index -> Submarines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: